Fast food establishments are renowned for their iconic offerings like burgers, chicken sandwiches, crispy fries, and refreshing fountain beverages. However, their menu extends beyond these classics, featuring sweet baked treats such as cookies, pies, and cinnamon rolls. Regrettably, some of these fast-food baked goods are almost as unhealthy as the main dishes, potentially pushing your already calorie-laden meal over the edge. Yet, armed with knowledge, you can savor these sweet indulgences with a bit more peace of mind.
Here’s a breakdown of some of the unhealthiest fast-food baked goods and why they should be consumed sparingly, according to Mary Sabat MS, RDN, LD:
1. McDonald’s Cinnamon Roll
- Per Order: 540 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 450 mg sodium, 90 g carbs (4 g fiber, 43 g sugar), 10 g protein
- High in calories, fat, and sugar, making it a potential contributor to weight gain, heart disease, and diabetes when consumed regularly.
2. McDonald’s Apple Fritter
- Per Order: 510 calories, 29 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 360 mg sodium, 56 g carbs (2 g fiber, 25 g sugar), 5 g protein
- A fried pastry with high calorie, fat, and sugar content, leading to weight gain, obesity, and increased risk of heart disease with frequent consumption.
3. Burger King Hershey’s Sundae Pie
- Per Order: 310 calories, 18 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 230 mg sodium, 32 g carbs (1 g fiber, 22 g sugar), 3 g protein
- High calorie, fat, and sugar content may contribute to raised cholesterol levels and an imbalanced diet if regularly consumed.
4. Starbucks Chocolate Chunk Cookie
- Per Order: 360 calories, 18 g fat (11 g saturated fat, 0.5 g trans fat), 220 mg sodium, 47 g carbs (2 g fiber, 31 g sugar), 6 g protein
- This cookie, loaded with sugar and fat, can add to sugar intake when combined with high-sugar beverages, potentially affecting overall health.
5. Popeye’s Cinnamon Apple Pie
- Per Order: 240 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 260 mg sodium, 35 g carbs (1 g fiber, 12 g sugar), 3 g protein
- Despite being quick, it’s unhealthy due to frying, which adds unhealthy trans fats and can raise cholesterol levels.
6. Popeye’s OREO Cheesecake Cup
- Per Order: 580 calories, 36 g fat (19 g saturated fat, 1 g trans fat), 520 mg sodium, 56 g carbs (1 g fiber, 41 g sugar), 7 g protein
- Extremely high in saturated fat and trans fat, contributing to heart disease risk, and excessive sugar intake, impacting overall health.
7. Arby’s Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Cookie
- Per Order: 463 calories, 25 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 400 mg sodium, 54 g carbs (2 g fiber, 36 g sugar), 7 g protein
- This cookie is high in calories, saturated fat, and sugar, potentially raising bad cholesterol levels and disrupting blood sugar.
8. White Castle Fudge Dipped Brownie On-a-Stick
- Per Order: 240 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 90 mg sodium, 34 g carbs (1 g fiber, 26 g sugar), 2 g protein
- Contains empty calories and a high amount of sugar, causing rapid blood sugar spikes and energy crashes when consumed in excess.
Be mindful of these indulgences and consider healthier options for a more balanced and nourishing diet.