Makes 8 servings
1½ cups pearl barley
1 clove garlic
¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
½ cup grated parmesan
4 cups baby spinach
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup edamame
1. Boil the barley in plenty of water until al dente (chewy but not raw in the center), about 30 minutes. While the barley is cooking, make the pesto.
2. Pulse the garlic, pine nuts, cheese, spinach, oil, salt and pepper in a food processor until finely chopped.
3. Reserve ½ cup cooking water.
4. Toss the edamame into the pot with the barley then drain and return them to pot.
5. Stir ¼ cup of cooking water into the pesto.
6. Stir the pesto into the barley and edamame. Add more water if needed to loosen.
Per Serving: Calories 260; Total Fat 12 g; Sat Fat 2.5 g; Protein 7 g; Carbs 32 g; Fiber 6 g; Cholesterol 5 mg; Sodium 280 mg.