Makes about 8 cups
1 onion, minced
3 small shallots, minced
3 fennel bulbs, diced
1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fennel seed
1 quart vegetable stock or low-sodium broth
½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Gently sauté the onion and shallots in 1 tablespoon olive oil without browning them.
2. Add the fennel and apple. Season with pepper.
3. Stir in the fennel seeds and cover with stock. Simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Add thyme, and season with up to ½ teaspoon salt and more pepper to taste.
5. Transfer to a blender and puree, adding remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Per Serving (1 cup): Calories 110; Total Fat 6 g; Sat Fat 0.5 g; Protein 2 g; Carbs 14 g; Fiber 4 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 260 mg.