- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 190ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 50g sliced almonds, toasted
- Icing sugar, for sifting
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 200g sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 245g plain flour
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Place paper liners in a 12-cup muffin tin.
2) Blend together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer beat the sugar, eggs, and zests in a
large bowl until pale and fluffy, about three minutes.
3) Beat in the vinegar and milk. Gradually beat in the oil. Add the flour
mixture and stir just until blended. Crush the almonds with your hands
as you add them to the batter and stir until mixed.
4) Fill the muffin tin almost to the top of the paper liners. Bake until
golden on top and a tester inserted into the centre of the cake comes
out with moist crumbs attached, about 20-25 minutes.
5) Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Remove the muffins
onto a platter and let cool for five more minutes. Sift icing sugar over
the muffins and serve.