- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and coarsely grated
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup sour cream
1) Toss the grated apple with the lemon zest, juice, and the cinnamon and let sit a few minutes (to soften the apple).
2) Whisk the sour cream, 1/2 cup of the sugar and egg yolks to blend.
Stir in the grated apple (including any juices). In a separate bowl, sift
the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir this into the
sour cream mixture until blended, then stir in the melted butter. Whip
the egg whites until foamy then add 2 tablespoons of sugar and
continue whipping until they hold a soft peak. Fold the whites into the
batter and use right away.
3) Pour the oil into a tabletop deep fryer following manufacturer’s
instructions (or into a large, deep pot so that it is only filled about 3
inches). Heat the oil to 350F (use a candy thermometer if cooking
doughnuts in a pot). Have a baking tray lined with paper towel, with a
cooling rack placed over it. Use a small ice cream scoop and carefully
drop scoops of batter into the oil, making sure there is enough room
between them to cook evenly. Cook the fritters for about 3 minutes on
each side, then remove using a slotted spoon and let drain and cool
for at least 10 minutes before dusting and enjoying.
4) The fritters can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature on the day
they are cooked.