For the Icing
- 350g icing sugar
- 50g softened butter
- 3 passion fruits
- 1 mashed banana
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 140g caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 40g softened butter
- 120ml milk
- 120g plain flour
1) Put the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl – flour, sugar, baking powder and butter (treat butter as ‘dry’ for our purposes). Mix until you have an even sandy consistency.
2) Measure out the milk and vanilla in a jug and whisk well. Drizzle into the flour whilst mixing, until you have a smooth batter/mixture. Add the mashed banana and mix for a couple more seconds, then stop the mixer and clean down the blade.
3) Spoon evenly into 12 cupcake cases and bake at 170°C for 20
minutes until they bounce back to the touch.
4) Cool on a wire rack and in the meantime make the icing by mixing the icing sugar, butter and cream cheese together for several minutes until very light and fluffy.
5) Scoop out the seeds from two of the passion fruits and add to your
icing. Mix this through with a spoon until fairly even. Avoid using the
mixer for this stage as you’ll crush the passion fruit seeds.
6) Pipe the icing on top of the cakes using a reusable piping bag and
large star nozzle and place a few seeds from the final passion fruit on
top of each of the cakes, and serve. All your egg-free friends will fall
over themselves to munch your cakes