Makes 8 servings
1½ cups French lentils
3 cloves garlic
2 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
2 cups apple cider
2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 shallots, minced
3 tablespoons canola oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 apple, diced
5 ounces baby spinach
½ cup chopped walnuts
1. In a medium pot, cover the lentils, garlic, thyme and bay leaf with water by 2 inches.
2. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook until tender but not mushy – start checking
them at 15 minutes.
3. Drain, rinse under cold water and discard the garlic, thyme and bay leaf.
4. In a sauté pan, boil the cider until reduced to 1/ 3 cup. Allow to the cider to cool then whisk
reduced cider together with the mustard, vinegar, shallots, and oil.
5. Season the dressing with up to ½ teaspoon salt and pepper. Toss apples, lentils and spinach
in the dressing. Arrange salad on a platter and garnish with the walnuts.
Per Serving: Calories 260; Total Fat 10 g; Sat Fat 0.5 g; Protein 12 g; Carbs 32 g; Fiber 10 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 240 mg.