- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup white wholemeal flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup plain flour, plus extra for dusting the pan
- 2 medium very ripe bananas
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Nonstick cooking spray
1) Preheat the oven to 175°C. Lightly mist a 9-by-5-inch metal loaf pan
with nonstick cooking spray and dust well with all-purpose flour to
cover the pan completely, tapping out the excess.
2) Put the chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stirring, until melted and smooth, 1
minute to 1 minute 30 seconds. Set aside to cool slightly while
preparing the batter.
3) Combine the bananas and sugar in a large bowl and mash with a
potato masher or fork until mostly smooth with just a few small pieces
of banana left. Add the oil and eggs and stir until combined. Using a
wooden spoon or rubber spatula, mix in both flours, the baking
powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the buttermilk and vanilla.
4) Stir 1 cup batter into the melted chocolate. Fill the loaf pan with half
the banana batter and then half the chocolate batter. Repeat the layers
and gently swirl together using a spoon or knife. Bake until golden
brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean,
about 45 minutes.
5) Cool in the pan 15 minutes, and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve warm or at room temperature.