Makes 6 servings
1/3 cup olive oil
1 dried guajillo* chili, stem and seeds removed
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 large red onion, chopped
2 pounds sweet potato, cut into ½-inch cubes
1. Pour the oil into a very large skillet and set over medium heat. When the oil is warm, add the chili and garlic. Turn and stir until the chili is toasty smelling (about 30 seconds). Remove from the heat.
2. Put the chili in a blender with the vinegar and salt. Blend for 30 seconds. When the oil and garlic are cool, add to the blender. Set the skillet aside without washing. Blend the dressing until smooth.
3. Return the skillet (it will have a light coating of oil) to medium heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring regularly, until soft and richly brown, 9-10 minutes.
4. Add the sweet potatoes. Blend the dressing for a few more seconds and add to the skillet with the potatoes. Stir well. Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Uncover and allow to cool. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Per Serving: Calories 240; Fat 12 g; Sat Fat 1.5 g; Protein 3 g; Carbs 31 g; Fiber 5 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 240 mg.
* You can use any mild or medium dried chili.