- 175g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 360g chopped walnuts
- 315g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla essence
- 790g milk chocolate chips
- 170g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 3 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 450g unsalted butter
1) Preheat the oven to 180 C/Gas mark 4. Butter and flour a 30 by 46 by
2cm baking tray.
2) Melt together the butter, 450g of chocolate chips and the unsweetened
chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water. Allow to cool
3) In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffee granules,
vanilla and sugar. Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture
and allow to cool to room temperature.
4) In a medium bowl, sift together 140g of flour, the baking powder and
salt. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the walnuts and 340g
of chocolate chips in a medium bowl with 35g of flour, then add to the
5) Pour the batter into the baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes, then rap the
baking tray against the oven shelf to force the air to escape from
between the pan and the brownie dough.
6) Bake for another 15 minutes, or until a cocktail stick comes out clean.
Do not overbake! Allow to cool thoroughly, refrigerate, and cut into 20