- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
- Damson jam (to fill the cake)
- Grated zest of a large orange
- 200g plain flour
- 1 heaped tsp allspice
- 100g dark muscavado sugar
- 200g soft light brown sugar
- 300ml sunflower oil
- 300g vacuum packed beetroot (without vinegar), drained
- 100g cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
1) Grease and line the bases of two 18cm (7″) sandwich tins with baking paper.
2) Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (fan 180°C).
3) Using a food processor, blend the eggs, sugars and oil together until
thick and creamy. Remove to a large mixing bowl.
4) Chop the beetroot into a smooth puree in the food processor.
5) Add the cocoa powder and allspice to the beetroot and blend
6) Add to the egg mixture and stir together.
7) Sift the dry ingredients into the bowl, adding the vanilla extract and
orange zest and fold with a metal spoon until well incorporated.
8) Divide the mixture between the two sandwich tins and bake for
approximately 35 minutes, or until an inserted cocktail stick comes
out clean. The cakes will be quite dark in colour.
9) Allow to cool on wire racks.
10) When completely cold, sandwich together with damson jam (approx 1⁄2 a jar).